REACH PLC - STANDARD COMPETITION RULES
REACH PLC - STANDARD COMPETITION/PRIZE DRAW RULES
Reach PLC’s Standard Competition/Prize Rules (the Rules ) are the terms and conditions of entry to all Competitions and or Prize Draws (collectively referred to as Competitions and each a Competition ) whether free entry or Pay-To-Enter conducted in or through the newspapers or other publications of Reach plc and each member of its group of companies (together Reach ) and on or through Reach's websites.
These Rules are to be read together with any additional rules (if any) published by Reach on the applicable publication or website in connection with any Competition ( Specific Competition Rules ). To the extent that there is any inconsistency between these Rules and the Specific Competition Rules, the Specific Competition Rules will prevail.
These Rules may be amended by Reach at any time without prior notice. Any amendments will be posted on the relevant Reach website. It is your responsibility to ensure you review the rules before entering any Competition.
Entry into any Competition is conditional upon an entrant confirming acceptance of these Rules.
For the purposes of these Rules:
Competition(s) includes games and/or promotions where an entrant may have to engage in a test of skill (e.g. answering a general knowledge question);
Data Protection Legislation means the Data Protection Act 2018 and the UK General Data Protection Regulation; the Privacy and Electronic Communications (EC Directive) Regulations 2003 (PECR) and, from the date of its becoming applicable, any legislation intended to replace the PECR and all applicable laws and regulations relating to the privacy, protection or processing of personal data, including where applicable guidance and codes of practice issued by the Information Commissioner and, as applicable, the equivalent of any of the foregoing in any relevant jurisdiction.
Prize Draw comprises of the entrant simply entering a draw for a prize without the need to engage in a test of skill.
Pay-To-Enter Competitions means competitions where each entry must be accompanied by the appropriate entry fee paid as specified in the relevant Specific Competition Rules.
Editor or Editors means the editor(s) from time to time of the newspaper(s) and/or other publication(s) or website(s) through which a Competition is conducted.
Sponsor is any entity that organises and provides the prize for the Competition, including Reach or any third party ( Non Reach Party ) who sponsors a Competition conducted through Reach’s newspapers, other publications or websites.
1. - ELIGIBILITY
1.2 - Entrants must meet the eligibility requirements to enter the Competition as set out Specific Competition Rules
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Competition Rules, entry to all Competitions is restricted to entrants of 16 years of age or over.
- Employees of Reach, their agents or their families may not enter any Competition. Employees of any Non Reach Party involved with the conduct of a particular Competition (such as Non Reach Sponsors of a particular Competition), their agents or their families may not enter that particular Competition. The Editor's decision (which may be exercised in their sole discretion) as to the eligibility of any employees of a Non Reach Party, their agents or their families, will be final.
- Where entrants are required to enter in one of several age categories in relation to a Competition, their category shall be that which is appropriate to their age on the closing date of that Competition. An entrant is assumed to be of a certain age up to and including the day prior to their next birthday.
2. - ENTRY
2.1 - Entry to any Competition may only be made by an entrant in accordance with any Specific Competition Rules.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Competition Rules entrants may only make one entry to a Competition.
- Where postal entries to a Competition are permitted by the Specific Competition Rules only those postal entries bearing correct postage will be accepted and they must arrive at the address detailed in the Specific Competition Rules no later than first post on the published closing date for the Competition. Postal entries received by Reach after this time and entries delivered by hand will not be accepted by Reach. Proof of posting of the entry will not be accepted by Reach as proof of delivery and Reach will bear no responsibility or liability in relation to postal entries which are lost, delayed, mislaid or otherwise not received by Reach in or prior to the first post on the published closing date for the Competition.
- In the case of entry to a Competition by means other than post (
), a Non-Post Entry must arrive at the address detailed in the Specific Competition Rules by the date detailed in the Specific Competition Rules. Non-Post Entries received by Reach after this time will not be accepted by Reach. Reach will bear no responsibility or liability in relation to Non-Post Entries which are not received by Reach or are lost in transmission for any reason including, but not limited to, any error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, delay in operation or transmission, communications line failure, theft, destruction, alteration of, or unauthorised access to prize claims, or entries lost or delayed whether or not arising during operation or transmission as a result of server functions, virus, bugs or other causes outside Reach’s control. Proof of sending or transmission of a Non-Post Entry will not be accepted as proof of entry. Corrupted, damaged, unintelligible, inaudible or incomplete Non-Post Entries will be invalid and not accepted by reach.
- In the absence of any specific instruction in the Specific Competition Rules, payment for Pay-To-Enter Competitions may be made only by bank or building society cheque or postal order.
- Entries made using methods generated by a script, macro or the use of automated devices or bulk entries will be void and shall not be accepted by Reach. Reach shall bear no responsibility or liability in relation to entries which are invalid, incomplete, corrupt, illegible, lost or delayed in transit, or which fail to be properly submitted in accordance with these Rules and/or the relevant Specific Competition Rules, each of which entries will be deemed void and not accepted by Reach.
3. - THE PRIZE AND WINNER
3.1 - The decision of Reach is final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into save as anticipated by these Rules or any Specific Competition Rules. Reach will contact the winner(s) of a Competition (the Winner(s) ) personally as soon as practicable after the relevant announcement date, using the contact details provided by the Winner.
- Subject to all applicable Data Protection Legislation, name(s) of Winner(s) and results of Competitions (i) will be available on receipt of a written request to Reach at One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP FAO enclosing a stamped self-addressed envelope and (ii) may be published in the relevant newspaper(s),other publication(s) or on websites as space permits.
- Unless specifically stated otherwise in Specific Competition Rules, prizes are not transferable and no cash alternative to prizes will be offered. Reach reserves the right to substitute a prize of equal or greater value should circumstances outside of its control make this necessary.
- If the Winner is unable to take up a prize for any reason or in the event that time is of the essence and a Winner cannot be contacted by Reach within 14 days of the winner being selected (or otherwise within a timeframe specified within the Specific Competition Rules) Reach reserves the right to award the prize to an alternative winner, in which case the first winner chosen will not be eligible for any share of the prize whatsoever.
- Subject to Data Protection Legislation, each Winner shall co-operate with Reach's photographers or reporters to publicise the win as Reach deems appropriate.
- If a Competition involves submitting content (including photographs), entrants will retain copyright in their submitted entries, and in any photographs or other material submitted as part of the entry. However, by entering, all entrants grant to Reach a worldwide, perpetual, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and licence to edit, use, reproduce and publish each entry in any and all media (including print and online) for publicity and news purposes. Reach will have the right to publish, for free, the entry, or part of it, but this does not mean that the entrant has won a prize.
- By submitting content (including photographs) for the entry, the entrant confirms that (i) they either own the copyright in the content or are legally entitled to provide it to Reach, and (ii) that the entrant has the consent of all the people appearing in any content, such that the entrant can, free of any restriction, grant to Reach the licence as set out in paragraph 3.5 above. If the content features a child, or children, the entrant confirms (i) that they are the parent or guardian of the child, or children, and have the legal right to grant consent or (ii) the parent or guardian of the child, or children, has expressly granted such consent to the entrant.
- The Winner will be first correct entry (or entries) drawn after the Competition closes from the total entries submitted, except where it is expressly stated that all Competition entries will be examined and the prize or prizes will be awarded to the entry/entries, the judges consider to be the best or that some other mechanism will be applied. If applicable other prizes may be awarded in accordance with the order of priority stated in the Specific Competition Rules.
- The Editors reserve the right to change the rules applicable to any Competition or to void any Competition at any time and for any reason. In the event that any Competition is so voided, all entry fees (if any) will be returned.
- In the event of an error of any nature howsoever caused and whether obvious or otherwise which affects a Competition in any way, Editors reserve the right to administer the Competition as though the error had not occurred. Where Editors deem it appropriate and/or feasible, entrants will be notified of the error and correct it either through notification in the relevant newspaper, other publication or website or through any other suitable medium.
- Where necessary in order to determine an outright winner or winners to a Competition, Editors reserve the right to request entrants to take part in an eliminating contest (or 'tie breaker'). Where for any reason there are more winners than prizes on offer Editors reserve the right to conduct a simple draw to determine the Winner or Winners of the prizes.
- Reach accepts no responsibility or liability for any costs associated with the prize that are not specifically included with the prize.
4. - LIABILITY
4.1 - Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Competition Rules Reach accepts no responsibility for the return of entries, photographs or other personal effects or for loss or damage to such items. Where Reach offers to return entries, they must be accompanied by a suitable self-addressed envelope together with the appropriate postage. Under no circumstances does Reach accept responsibility for the safe return of any material or its return in an undamaged condition or any liability for loss of or damage to such material.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Competition Rules, Reach accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an entrant as a result of entering the Competition and/or accepting a prize. Reach further disclaims liability for any injury or damage to you or any other person’s computer relating to or resulting from participation in, or downloading any materials in connection with, the Competition. Insofar as permitted by law, nothing in these terms and conditions shall exclude the liability of Reach for death, personal injury, fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation as a result of its negligence or affect an entrant’s statutory rights.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Competition Rules Reach accepts no responsibility for any damage, loss, liabilities, injury or disappointment incurred or suffered by an as a result of entering a Competition and/or accepting a prize from a Non Reach Party Sponsor. In the event Reach publishes a Competition from a Non Reach Party Sponsor, please refer to the Non Reach Party Sponsor’s terms and conditions.
5. - PRIVACY AND MARKETING
- Some Competitions may involve your personal data being provided to Non Reach Party Sponsors. In such an event Reach will make you aware of the fact by including in the Specific Competition Rules that the Non Reach Party Sponsor will require your personal data and such personal data shall only be shared in accordance with applicable Data Protection Legislation.
- Reach takes its data protection responsibilities very seriously, and an entrant’s data will not be shared with any third parties apart from third parties that are involved in the administration of any Competition you may have entered. When entering a Competition, there will be an option to opt in to receive further communications from the relevant Reach newspaper(s), other publication(s) and/or websites [about competitions, prize draws and promotions from Reach. If you do opt in, we will contact you for these purposes only. For those who do not opt in, your data will be used solely for administration of the relevant Competition.
6. - GENERAL
6.1 - It is a condition of entry to any Competition that the entrant agrees to be bound by these Rules whether or not they are published in the relevant newspaper or publication or website and that the decisions of Editors and judges on any matter whatsoever arising out of or connected with a Competition are final. Failure by an entrant to comply with any of these Rules and/or any Specific Competition Rules may result in the disqualification of that entrant’s entry. Editors reserve the right to disqualify any entry at their absolute discretion.
- Unless stated otherwise in the Specific Competition Rules, no correspondence will be entered into on any matters arising from any Competition.
- These Rules, any Specific Competition Rules and all competitions will be governed by English law and entrants to any Competition agree to submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
Sponsor: Reach plc, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP. Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Terms.
Social Media Competition Terms and Conditions (SMC Terms) etc.
The following terms and conditions ( SMC Terms ) are to be read alongside Reach PLC’s Standard Competition/Prize Rules ( Rules ) and apply to both Social Media Prize draws and Social Media Competitions (collectively Social Media Competitions ) together with any specific terms as set out in the Competition ( Specific Terms ). In the event there is a conflict of meaning between the Specific Terms, these SMC Terms and the Rules, the order of priority shall be (i) the Specific Terms; (ii) the SMC Terms; and (3) the Rules.
Save as expressly set out in these SMC Terms, terms defined in the Rules shall have the same meaning in these SMC Terms.
- Entry into any Social Media Competition confirms acceptance by an entrant of these SMC Terms (together with any Specific Terms) and you agree to be bound by them.
- Social Media Competitions are open for all UK residents to enter unless the Specific Terms state otherwise.
- Please check the age restrictions on the Specific Terms as some Social Media Competitions may be age restricted.
- One comment/post/tweet equals one entry. Multiple entries by the same person will not be counted; we will only count your first comment/post/tweet. Reach shall bear no responsibility or liability in relation to entries which are invalid, incomplete or which fail to be properly submitted in accordance these SMC Terms and/or the relevant Specific Terms, each of which entries will be deemed void and not accepted by Reach.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Terms no purchase or payment is required to enter into any Social Media Competition.
- Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Terms: (i) there will be one (1) winner per Social Media Competition, who will be drawn at random ; and (ii) the winner will be announced on the relevant social media platform as soon as possible after the Social Media Competition closes but no later than 3 days after the closing date and time.
- If the Social Media Competition includes a test of skill (e.g. answering a question) then the winner will be selected randomly from the entrants who passed the test of skill.
- The winner will be notified through the Social Media Platform (e.g. Facebook if it is a Facebook competition), and asked to provide full contact details directly to Reach. Unless otherwise stated in the Specific Terms, if no contact is made by the Winner to Reach within ten (10) calendar days of the Winner being selected, the prize(s) will be forfeited and may be awarded to (an) alternate Winner(s) selected in a random draw from the remaining eligible entries.
- Reach reserves the right to extend the entry period (as specified in the Specific Terms) in relation to any Social Media Competition.
- Some Social Media Competitions may involve your personal data being provided to Non Reach Party Sponsors. In such an event Reach will make you aware of the fact that the Non Reach Party Sponsor will require your personal data prior to you entering and such personal data shall only be shared in accordance with applicable Data Protection Legislation.
- If the Sponsor is a Non Reach Party Sponsor, Reach takes no responsibility for the availability of any prize. Prizes are subject to the Non Reach Party Sponsor’s terms and conditions which will be included in the Specific Terms.
- All Social Media Competitions shall (unless otherwise stated in the Specific Terms) be administered by Reach or a Non Reach Party Sponsor. Reach only uses social media sites to platform Social Media Competitions and for the avoidance of doubt, no Social Media Competition shall be sponsored, endorsed or administered by, or associated with any social media company where the Social Media Competition appears.
- By entering any SMC Competition, an entrant acknowledges that the Social Media platform is only being used to publish the SMC Competition and agrees to a complete release of the social media company from any or all liability in connection with this Social Media Competition.
- Subject to Data Protection Legislation, Reach may request the use of the Winner(s)’ name, photograph and disclosure of their area (e.g. Newcastle) on the social media platform where the winning post was made or on the website or newspaper title associated with that Social Media Competition and on associated social media and will cooperate with any other reasonable requests by Reach relating to any publicity.
- Subject to Data Protection Legislation, the names of the winners will be available from Reach plc, One Canada Square, Canary Wharf, London E14 5AP FAO Head of Social Media or on the social media platform where the Social Media Competition was held.
These standard competition rules were updated on 25th March 2022